Designing A New Home in Sunny Orange County
With more than 42 miles of gorgeous sun, surf, and sand, the communities in Orange County California are among the most iconic and glamorous in the country. If you are thinking of designing a new home in Orange County, you’ll find that your options are virtually unlimited.
Why New Home Design?
Why do people choose new homes versus resale homes? There are as many reasons as there are homebuyers, but among them you’ll find:
- Designing a new home allows you to specify, not only the paint colors and finishes, but even the way that the space itself is laid out. This helps you create the ideal flow for your family’s lifestyle – which is especially important in an area where the indoor and outdoor spaces so often converge.
- New homes create value with new systems and infrastructure, many with energy efficient designs. This allows you to save money on repair costs and upgrades up front as well as saving on your utility bill each month.
- For many people, the idea of living in a brand new home is preferable to moving into a previously owned home. Cleanliness, air quality, fixtures -- all of these factors make new homes far more desirable.
Best Home Builders
Choosing home builders in Orange County requires you to think through both the building and buying process and your life after the sale. Here is a handy checklist of questions you can ask to ensure that you’re working with the best home builder for your Orange County home project.
- Can you provide references of recent buyers and current homeowners?
- Do you have in-house financing options available?
- Are there options for adjusting the floor plan or spaces like a basement or deck?
- Are there custom options to upgrade the standard features?
- Will there be a homeowner’s association? What fees are associated with the neighborhood and what do they cover?
- Do you offer a home warranty program?
- What are the local schools like? How much are property taxes?
- Are there day care centers and grocery stores nearby? What are the local emergency facilities like?
- What future development is planned for the next five years?
Designing a Floor plan
Floor plan design options allow you to change up both the interior and exterior spaces of your new Orange County home. You can adjust the layout and design of individual rooms, the footprint of systems, and the inclusion of additional outdoor spaces like a covered patio.
In addition, interactive floor plan tools give you the opportunity to use your customized floor plan to plan your furniture placement and your home’s designer finishes. This allows you to create a home that is truly your own -- a one-of-a-kind expression of your preferences and your style.
Keep the following in mind as you design your own floor plan:
- How large is your family and do you expect to grow it within the next few years?
- Do you anticipate major changes to the way your home is used -- for instance, an elderly family member moving in or older children going off to college?
- Do you work from home or need a home office more than once or twice each week?
- Do you enjoy entertaining at home? If so, is your style more formal or casual?
- Do you like wide open spaces or more closed off, private spaces?
- What is the traffic flow like in your home
- In the morning?
- After school and work?
- In the evening?
- On the weekends?
Design a floor plan that works for the unique needs of your family. You’ll save time and frustration every day.
Things to Consider When Working with Orange County Home Builders
Designing a new home in Orange County requires additional thought when choosing a home builder and considering your design options. When working with your Orange County home builder, keep these details in mind:
- Think long term and short term: Consider not just the way your home works now, but the way it will work five to ten years from now. Think about whether your commute will change or whether your daily activities will change. Make sure your home will work for you both now and in the future.
- Be mindful of the way that the home is situated on the lot, including window placement, direction, and outdoor spaces in your consideration. Find out the orientation and size of other homes as well as where other homes will be built in the neighborhood.
- Take advantage of the beautiful Orange County weather when designing interior spaces and choosing finishes. Look for opportunities to open up doors and windows and let the outside in. Keep traffic flow between interior and exterior spaces in mind, especially when thinking about children’s activities and the way you’ll entertain guests.
- Similarly, design outdoor spaces just as you would design interior spaces in your home. One of the best things about owning a home in Orange County is the year-round opportunity to relax, play, dine, and entertain outdoors. Consider upgrading the outdoor space as much as your budget will allow -- you’ll be glad you did.
Looking for a new home in sunny Orange County, California? You’ll find a gorgeous and amenity-filled Pulte home everywhere you want to be. And when you build with us, you have so many choices for design and layout, both indoors and out. Love your life every day in a Pulte home.
Looking for more tips, ideas or inspiration? Return Home here.