10 Fun Activities for When it Cools Down in Houston
Everyone knows that everything’s hotter in Houston – the Tex-Mex cuisine, the shopping, and even Houston’s climate. Believe it or not, new homes in Houston still get their share of cold weather -- and that’s when the fun really starts. Check out our cold-weather guide for things to do in Houston when it is winter and find out why the city heats up when there’s a nip in the air.
The Houston climate is, by and large, warm to hot and humid. With more than two hundred sunny days each year and summertime heat that can climb north of 100 degrees, you may think of Houston only in terms of its overall subtropical climate. However, unlike some areas of the sunny South, Houston experiences a full range of seasonal weather patterns.
Winter in Houston
The winter in Houston is generally mild, with average high temperatures around 63 and average lows in the low 40s. There are usually a few freezing days each year, though rarely any snow or winter storms. The winter in Houston is also the driest time of year in the city, offering a break from the normal high humidity.
Wintery Things to Do in Houston
Want to find the best ways to celebrate winter? Here are some fun things to do in Houston that bring a little pizzazz to winter.
- Enjoy ice skating at Houston’s iconic Galleria Mall, The Woodlands Town Center Ice Rink, or visit the Southwest’s largest outdoor ice rink, ICE at Discovery Green. Take lessons or just strap on your skates and go for it.
- If you love skiing, you’ll find plenty of like-minded friends at the Space City Ski and Adventure Club. This non-profit organization runs multiple ski trips every winter for Houstonians craving some time on the slopes.
- Take advantage of the cool weather and get active at Brazoria National Wildlife Refuge, Brazos Bend State Park, Lone Star Hiking Trail, or Lake Houston Wilderness Park. With trails designed for hiking, biking, and equestrians plus the opportunity to observe wildlife, you’re sure to have an unforgettable day.
- Winter in Houston is a perfect time to visit the world-class Houston Zoo. With more than 6,000 exhibits, a children’s museum, parks and gardens and more, you’ll love the opportunity to enjoy cool, mild weather while spying your favorite creatures. Bonus? The animals are more active and vocal when it’s chilly outside.
Top Houston Attractions
If you’re looking for something fun things to do in Houston during the mild winters, the city has a variety of fabulous attractions to keep things hopping. These Houston attractions are open during the winter and make for a great visit.
1. Space Center Houston
The visitor’s center for NASA’s Johnson Space Center, Space Center Houston gives you and your family the opportunity to experience space exploration up close and personal. Walk through a space shuttle replica, head outside to Rocket Park, and touch a real-live moon rock. Sign up for a behind-the-scenes tour to learn even more about US space exploration and the upcoming Mars mission, a popular attraction that is fun for the entire family.
2. Houston Museums
The Houston museum district is comprised of 19 distinct venues including museums dedicated to art, science, children’s activities, history, and more. Many of the museums are free of charge and within walking distance of each other making this a great attraction to visit during winter in Houston. Since everything is so close, you can spend the day, have lunch, and stroll among a wide variety of exhibits that are perfect for all ages.
3. Houston Sports
This large, metropolitan area is home to a number of sports franchises. During winter in Houston, you’ll find the NFL’s Houston Texans and the NBA’s Houston Rockets heating up the scene. With talks to bring an NHL team to Houston, you may soon have even more wintertime attractions.
4. Houston Shopping and Dining
The Houston oil industry gifted the city with a taste for the good life and an international vision. That’s why the area is home to world-class dining and shopping that’s big on fun and variety. For shopping, you’ll find everything from super-rare vintage boutiques to the highest of the high-end designer fare. For dining, you’ll experience the best of gourmet fine dining, sophisticated ranch-to-table, and international cuisine beyond compare. If you enjoy shopping and dining then there is plenty of things to do in Houston.
5. Day-Trips from Houston
Looking for a quick and convenient change of scenery? You’ll find a variety of day trips, including a beach trip to Galveston, a quick hop to the sights and sounds of Austin, and the natural beauty of the extraordinary Anahuac National Wildlife Refuge. Each is only an hour or two away and offers natural beauty along with fun activities for all ages and interests.
If you’re looking for a homebuilder in Houston, you’ll enjoy a wide variety of options with neighborhoods wherever you want to call home. Whether you want an in-town location or crave a little taste of country living, there’s a Pulte community for you.
Looking for more tips, ideas or inspiration? Return Home here.